Healthy Banana Oat Muffins

I have been on a serious kick lately. I have an addiction. And that addiction is to muffins. Yep. Freshly made, banana oat muffins. More specifically, the recipe I am about to provide to you. I've made these muffins 3 times since I found the recipe, and unfortunately, my last time around I broke my food processor so I am out of commission until Cusinart fixes it. It's going to be a long few weeks, to say the least. Hopefully you all can make them in the interim, and send me some my way. Please and thanks!

Ingredients:
-2.5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt (I use Trader Joes Vanilla low fat Greek yogurt because it's the yogurt I always have on hand)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey OR 3/4 cup sugar (depending on preference)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed (I buy mine at Trader Joes and I love it! Great way to get extra health benefits)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas (when they have a lot of brown spots, and are a tad mushy, they're perfect)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Place the oats in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds. Add remaining ingredients to the food processor.
3. Process until everything is mixed together and smooth. Because of the flax seed and oats, the batter won't be completely smooth, but as long as everything is incorporated.
4. At this point, you can add walnuts and/or chocolate chips. I add both to mine, about 1/2 cup each. Mix well.
5. Divide mixture into muffin tins. I usually have some batter left over, so I put some in a bread pan, and make a mini banana bread. :)
6. Bake for 18-10 minutes. 
7. Serve WARM. It's a must!

I love that these muffins replace all the "filler" ingredients and replace them with healthy ones like Greek yogurt, oats and flax seed. Best of all, you can't even tell the difference in taste! I hope you find these as addicting as I do!       

No comments: