H&M eCommerce: A Little Too Late?

My day was MADE yesterday when I found out via Twitter that one of my favorite retailers, H&M was finally launching their eCommerce business, allowing consumers to purchase online instead of the stores. I think I can talk for every fashion junkie when I say, we have been waiting for this, for a long time.

The company blames security issues as to why they haven't started online commerce yet in the US (they allow eCommerce in several European countries), as well as a sluggish economy. The company's biggest competitor, Zara (amazeballs) already has an eCommerce presence in the United States and abroad. Sidenote: In college I did a case study on Zara in my Operations Management class on their logistics, and let me tell you, Zara does not mess around. They know what they are doing.

So to make a long story short, is H&M too late to get on the eCommerce bandwagon? Do you think they could have benefited if they launched this platform in arguably the biggest market FIRST for a competitive advantage?

Regardless, I am stoked for the option of H&M online shopping!

H&M Article

No comments: